|"All You Need Is Love"|
| Season 1, Episode 1|
#1 in series (193 episodes)
New Manhanttan Court Judge Harry Stone in his first night on the job in "All You Need is Love" (ep.#1).
|Network/Country:||NBC-TV / United States|
|Air date||January 4, 1984|
|Written by:||Reinhold Weege|
|Directed by:||James Burrows|
|Guest stars:|| Joseph V. Perry|
|IMDb||All You Need Is Love|
|← Previous||Next →|
|N/A - Series pilot||"Santa Goes Downtown"|
|List of Night Court seasons/episodes|
|"All You Need Is Love"|
|Full Credits||Scripts||More Images|
The staff of a Manhattan arraignment court is surprised by the arrival of a maverick young judge named Harry Stone; his first ruling, that a feuding couple should go to dinner with the attorneys, results in a fight breaking out that injures Dan.
As the youngest judge appointed to the court, Judge Harold T. Stone's first case in night court becomes fiery while settling and argument with a woman, her husband and her gun. As Harry is able to persuade the bickering couple to have lunch with the attorneys Dan Fielding, the Assistant District Attorney, and the Public Defender, Sheila Gardiner (Gail Strickland), the two get in a big fight there in the cafeteria, where both lawyers get entangled, and then susequently roughed up trying to stop the scuffle, and where Dan's shirt was ripped right off of his back, while in his suit!
As both the attorneys and the court clerk, Lana Wagner (Karen Austin) question the qualifications of the youthful looking Judge Stone, one who keeps his office filled with gag joke gifts (such as the can of fuzzy worms, which explodes open, frightening a startled Lana!), and one who appears in a pair of jeans, they are won over when he is able to do what they couldn't do -- get the warring couple to drop their charges against each other and reconcile.
Cast (in credits order)
- Harry Anderson as Harold T. Stone
- Karen Austin as Lana Wagner
- John Larroquette as Dan Fielding
- Gail Strickland as Sheila Gardiner (one time, in pilot only)
- Richard Moll as Bull Shannon
- Selma Diamond as Selma Hacker
Guest stars/Recurring characters/cast
- Joseph V. Perry as Phil Kerr (as Joseph Perry)
- Rita Taggart as Carla Bouvier
- Peggy McCay as Louise Kerr
- Luke Andreas as Painter
- Andrew Bloch as Leonard "Hacksaw" Hammond
- Matt Landers as Delivery Man
- Cal Gibson as Man in Courtroom #1
- Charlotte Portney as Court Stenographer (uncredited)
- As Harry Stone walks near the "jury box/waiting area", you can see the boom mic a couple of times.
- The title of this episode alludes to The Beatles' song of the same name.